Astrology has come a long way since Carl Sagan, a respected and revered Scientist told us we were all made of stars, it shifted our perspective a bit. The mainstream is perhaps understanding that if we share the same particles as the stars perhaps their movements, along with the planets in the heavens also affect our behavior.
What is ancient is new again. The Hermetic principle, as above so below, as within so without is infiltrating our consciousness, there has been a shift and people are waking up and suddenly interested in how the cosmos up there, affects us down here.
It has become a phenomenon and a cultural conversation piece to discuss Mercury retrogrades and to blame technological failings, communication breakdowns or other mishaps on him.
Why has a planet that appears to be moving backward in the sky from our vantage point here on earth, become so dreaded and feared? As I eluded, people get stuck in a pattern of blame or negativity. It is true that things can get a little wonky with organization, travel, and commerce, so we should anticipate that three times (give or take) in one calendar year, for about 3 weeks Mercury will go retrograde.
Why not see it as a normal planetary cycle and rhythm of the cosmos, and make room for it in our lives as such. What actions should we take during mercury retrograde what should we focus on?
It’s a time to rejoice, redo, retreat, reassess, remake, rethink, review and anything else that suggests going back over something, finishing projects or slowing down to practice self-care.
The first Mercury retrograde of the year happens on March 5th in the watery, sensitive, creative, intuitive sign of Pisces. Pisces also represents the end of something. What things did you not quite complete but would like an opportunity to do so?
This year, all of the Mercury retrogrades fall only in water signs, setting up an emotional, sensitive theme for the year. I would ask yourself, how can I better care for my emotional self? What do I need to take a break from emotionally speaking?
Mercury is the planet of communication and water signs are typically associated with more sensitive, intuitive, and artistic forms of expression. If you follow some of my simple tips, you can use this energy wisely and work on either developing or strengthening your intuition or opening your third eye.
Our emotions, our dreams, our creative urges, and our gut feelings are all going to going to undergo an upgrade if you use this energy to your advantage and begin strengthening your intuitive muscles. The best way to sharpen your intuition is starting a meditation practice.
Mercury is the planet of communication, and because Mercury is the ruler a portion of the retrograde can affect communications, air travel, commerce, or contracts in a negative way (usually in his shadow period before the actual retrograde happens), it’s a magical time, a time to look forward to, and a time to be celebrated with your own traditions and rituals
These are the 5 things I like to do during a Mercury Retrograde.
- Retrograde Ritual - I have created my own ritual around it, lighting orange candles (the color associated with Mercury) setting my intentions and feeling them and placing them into his glyph or sigil. I have both and both would be easy to find in an internet search, but I will include a link. Click Here for Glyph . Mercury is the Messenger God, he brings your messages, your intentions or desires to the Gods. Mercury also rules the merchant class, commerce, writing, writers or authors, intellect, reason, language and how you perceive the world, he also rules making money if you own your own business. This ritual would be especially powerful for merchants, bloggers, writers or anybody trying to improve their communication skills.
- Slow down and keep your schedule light- you know when it’s raining and all you can think about is going home, getting under the covers and reading a good book? That is how I like to see Mercury Retrograde periods. As I stated previously, retreat, repose and restock your brain with new knowledge. It’s like an invitation from the heavens to get caught up on any reading or studying you may like to do. If you aren’t keen on reading or if the public school system knocked out the desire to study independently, then binge-watching will work in this instance as long as you are doing so with the intent to….wait for it...relax.
- Finish Projects- that’s right, during a Mercury retrograde it’s a great time to reassess what projects need to be finished. What have you been putting off or dragging your heals on? After you do your Mercury ritual would be a great time to brainstorm what projects you have left lingering. Trust what makes it onto your list, what comes back to mind is the most pressing of projects to complete.
- Make Self Care a priority- during your repose and retreat stage why not throw in relax to the mix? Take longer baths, try a DIY mask, eat healthier, cut out the ice cream for the entire 3 weeks retrograde or give up another food that you know isn’t doing you or your waistline any favors. It’s not like you are swearing off forever, try it for 3 weeks and see if you feel better. If you notice an improvement, it will be easier to give it up for good.
- Realign with Your Creative Force- let your imagination and your originality soar. As someone who cannot draw, paint or create art I had to learn I was creative in other ways. Dressing can be creative if you take risks and follow your imagination, DIY projects are creative, you could make candles or jewelry. Anything that gets you doing something out of your comfort zone but uses your imagination will help bring back your true nature as a human being and not a human doing.
As you can see a Mercury retrograde is a time to recalibrate, slow down, and get in touch with the natural rhythm and flow of the planet. It’s a time to be resourceful, and it can teach us about delayed gratification if we take tips like “during a Mercury retrograde refrain from purchasing any high-cost items”.
Too many people have given in to mass hysteria about this astrological occurrence. Just like a full moon comes once a month, mercury retrograde occurs (about) three times a year. Aren’t you looking forward to it now? By following one or more of these suggestions you can align your energy with Mercury’s and use it to your advantage.
Surrender means giving in to the winning side. Why not surrender to the cycles of the cosmos, slowing down and realigning will always pay off. There you have it, you now know the secret to Mercury retrograde, please use it wisely.